Friday, June 5, 2015

5 For Friday

Seems like I have not done a 5 for Friday in ages but I am so glad to be linking up once again with Kacey over at Doodle Bugs Teaching to share a bit of my week.

My apologies for being super late to the posting party but Friday night is still Friday so at least I kind made it this time!


Alphabet Countdown
If you did not do an alphabet count down this year with your students, I highly recommend it for next year! My class has loved tracking out school year count down with out letters. Each morning I include an ABC Mouse video from YouTube to introduce the letter of the day. They are great because they are short and highly engaging. Then everyone goes around an says one word that starts with the letter of the day.

The best part is our daily surprise letter-themed activity! Here are a few favorites so far:

Letter I-
Ice Cream Painting
(With shaving cream and tissue paper.)

Letter M-
Might Self Portraits
(A directed drawing from YouTube with some alterations.)

Letter O-
Ocean Paintings
(Using toilet paper rolls.)




Custom Clip Art Pal
Have you seen the adorable Pals that Lauren from Polka Dots and Pals makes? I knew right away when I saw her other Pals that I had to have my own. She is super quick and she was sweet enough to even consider my blog colors when creating my Pal. Trust me, you need your own little Pal.



Measurement
This is only a sneak preview because I'm not entirely ready to share but I (& my pa) recently DIY-ed my own balance scale to use with our final math unit. I've been trying it out with my class recently and can't wait to share it soon! Weight has been such a fun topic to teach and the kids are so into it.


What I'm Reading Now
I am trying to recommit myself to spending time reading for enjoyment. I feel like I am more accountable when I share what I am reading so I plan to do that more often here on my blog.

I most recently finished: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
My response: This book is a great easy read kinda book. I literally laughed out loud multiple times and even had to write down some of the quotes for future reference. Mindy the author is so much cooler than her TV personality on The Mindy Project. She's realistic, sarcastic, goal oriented, and her real life anitcdotes are way more relatable than her TV episodes (don't get me wrong though, I still binge watch The Mindy Project like crazy).



Currently Reading: Bossypants by Tina Fey
Response so far: I really like the female-comedians-turned-book-authors genre right now. Tina shares a lot about her past and how it shaped her current personality. She's very raw and matter-of-fact while still hilarious. I honestly knew very little about her as a person but she has such a unique background. I am really enjoying how she pulls apart the influential moments and time periods of her life to share with the reader.


Lastly, I wanted to share some pictures that have brought me some joy this week. They are so stinkin' adorable, I just can't help it!









2 comments:

  1. I loved those two books! You should read Amy Poehler's book next! I think hers was my favorite. I love the idea of the alphabet countdown, I might have to try it out next year! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard really good things about her book as well! I actually checked it out from the library previously but was too busy and had to return it before I could even start! It's definitely on my list for the summer. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete