Saturday, September 14, 2013

Budding Blogger Linky? I'm In!

http://iheartrecess.blogspot.com/2013/09/budding-blog-procrastinating-preceptor.htmlI am using today's post to link up with Jess at I {Heart} Recess for her Budding Blog Linky! I love this idea! The linky is for new blogs with less than 200 followers (a category I still fit in).

If you happen to be a new friend who has stumbled upon my blog, I would love for you to click around and learn a little more about me. I am always looking to increase my circle of connections, especially as I start my career in education.

Now on to the questions Jess included for all of us Budding Blogger to answer.

.1. Why did you start blogging?
I have unofficially followed a number of bloggers for a while but I never left comments or questions because I felt like I couldn't without my own blog. I finally decided to give it a try at the start of my student teaching because I wanted to get more connected with the amazing teachers on the web and a personal outlet in a way.

.2. What is your favorite subject to teach and why?
Currently it is a try between math and writing. I really love seeing what my students create when given the chance to write and put their thoughts on paper. I also love math because it seems to be the subject that so many students feel they aren't competent in and I absolutely love when they have those "ah ha!" moments and the light is suddenly on for them and that confidence returns. With this years kiddos particular, I have also found that math is easier for our ELL kiddos to pick up and really show their strenghts becasue the umbers make sense to them even when letters don't.

.3. Describe your teaching style.
Currently In Progress. Honestly I have been trying to establish what my teaching style is. When I did practicum work in college, I was placed in rural schools in Idaho. I developed a style that worked then. Now I am teaching in a Seattle suburb and rethinking how I do things. This is also my first time with third grade, which seems a million years away from the kinders and firs grades I was used to. I really believe in teaching to the whole child but my new demographics have given me new meaning to this and I am learning to adapt.

.4. Give three interesting facts about you.
I have shared interesting facts in previous posts (see my Oh, How Sweet post for ten interesting facts). Here are three I like.
.1. I am a Delta Zeta. I was actually a founding member of the chapter at the University of Idaho.
.2. I collect souvenir squished pennies from places I've visited or places friends and families have gotten them for me.
.3. Penguins and sting rays are my favorite animals.

.5. Do you have a TpT store? If yes, post the link :)
I have been wanting to start a store for some time now. I even have somethings ready to post. Honestly, I have no excuse for why I haven't yet done it other than just not making it a priority currently. I will get around to it at some point, promise!

And with all that said and done, welcome to my blog if you are new, or welcome back if we are already connected and please enjoy yourself!







P.S. I love making friends so don't be shy!




3 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog and I'm your newest follower! Student Teaching is such a fun experience... enjoy every minute of it! :)

    Ellie
    Miss Woodward's Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla!

    I love penguins, too...especially cute clip art ones! So glad I found your blog through the Budding Blog linky and am your newest follower. Make sure to check out my blog if you get a chance. I'm doing a giveaway this week!
    Melissa Cloud
    A Teaspoon of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kayla!
    I am your newest follower in Bloglovin. You have such a wonderful attitude towards your student teaching style! And you are right about 3rd being WAY different than K & 1st. I started in 1st but am currently in my 9th year of teaching 3rd so I totally understand what you are saying. :c)
    Good Luck!
    ~Amanda Applegate
    Third Grade Fabulous

    ReplyDelete