Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Little Ray of Sunshine

You know what I love most about the blogging community? I love how connected it can feel even though everyone is spread out over the country (and a number are even abroad). I often find myself referring to other bloggers as my friends even when we've never actually met apart from the interwebs.

The reason I felt the need to gush a little is because Jamie over at Teaching Tidbits and More recently nominated me and ten other bloggers for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Such a sweet gesture and with the constant rain showered we've been getting here in Washington, anything sunshine related sounds refreshing right now!

The rules of the Sunshine Blogger Award are:
{1} Post 11 random facts about yourself.
{2}  Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
{3} Nominate 11 bloggers you think bring sunshine to the world.
{4} Make up 11 questions for your nominations to answer.

11 Random Facts about Me:
{1} I picked out my future children’s names when I was in 3rd grade and still plan to use them. (Don’t worry, hubby likes the names too!)

{2} My husband and I have two guinea pigs that we love dearly. They are two females, Coconut and Kiwi. They were orphaned and left on the doorstep of a pet shop on night and we instantly fell in love with them. My husband is very pro-rescuing animals and I am very pro-guinea pig so they were perfect for us.

{3} I can wiggle my ears.

{4} I have an allergy to pineapple.

{5} I have recently started doing Zumba! It is so much fun! I do it at home with our Kinect so I don’t embarrass myself. Ha!

{6} I love nail polish. I have a giant Caboodle that I designate just for nail polish. I even have them organized into groups. I abuse my nails and can’t keep them from chipping so I have to repaint every few days but I love it.

{7} I dislike avocados. They are gross and I will not eat them in any form. *cross my arms*

{8} I am always cold. Always. It's a curse.

{9} I hope to someday write and publish a children's book.

{10} I'm currently a red head but naturally a blonde. 

{11} I am a terrible speller. I have never gotten the hang of spelling and sometimes feel I only get worse as I get older!

11 Questions From Jamie:
{1} What is your favorite subject to teach? I love teaching writing! I have always loved writing myself and truly enjoy passing on that love to my students.

{2} What is your favorite thing to wear to work? Lately since I have been working in a special education preschool, my go to outfit is skinny jeans, boots, chunky scarf, and an over-sized knit top/

{3} Who is your favorite children's author? Ohhh! Good question but so hard to answer. I actually have a few categories for my favorite children’s authors. David Shannon is my favorite author/illustrator. Eric Carle is my favorite classic author. Jane Yolen is my favorite newly discovered author (new to me). Laura Numeroff is my favorite author from my childhood.

{4} What do you like to do in your free time? I like to experiment with cooking and baking and I love a good DIY project to keep my busy.

{5} Do you prefer movies or books? Depends. Typically I prefer reading a good book but there are a few series that I've seen the movie and have no desire to read the book. The Hunger Game for example, were great movies but I don’t plan to pick up the books.

{6} What is the perfect date night? The hubby and I like to go on date days. We usually set aside a Saturday to park the car in Seattle and explore some new places in between visiting our favorite spots. Rain or shine, we love trekking around the city together, Starbucks in hand.

{7} How do you bring sunshine to someone else? I am a complimenter. I love receiving compliments so I always make sure that when I appreciate or like something someone else has done, I compliment them on it. My husband pokes fun at me because it’s not unusual for me to tell complete strangers that their outfit looks really nice.

{8} How did you know that teaching was for you? I didn't know for the longest time. I finally realized it when I had a work study job in college as a teaching assistant at a Head Start and fell in love with early childhood education. As soon as I signed up for some introductory classes, I was hooked.

{9} What is your favorite just for fun activity you do at school? I love cutting snowflakes and I really enjoy getting to teach students to cut fancy flakes as well. I have a certain way I fold so that it creates a circular pattern rather than the square ones people often make. It's a great tool for symmetry and fine motor skills but it's also just fun.

{10} What is your favorite food? My go-to favorite it mashed potatoes, corn, and gravy all mixed together. I just about died when KFC came out with their KFC Bowls. My other favorite the past few months has been anything yellow curry. I wish I had discovered curry at a younger age because it’s so good and there are curry places all over here!

{11} Would your rather: have a lazy quite day around the house or hang with family/friends? A lazy day hanging out with friends at home! Yoga pants, a few friends, good food, and Mario Party are all I need!

11 Bloggers I Nominate:

11 Questions for my Nominees:
{1} Decaf or caffeinated? 
{2} Do you have a teacher Instagram account?
{3} What makes the level you teach/work at special to you?
{4} Where are you located and what’s the current whether like?
{5} You win a magical field trip to anywhere in the world with your students. Where do you go?
{6} Three words to describe your teaching style.
{7} Subject you most enjoy teaching?
{8} If you weren't in education, what would be your alternate professional?
{9} What do you enjoy doing in your free time? 
{10} Favorite teacher as a student?
{11} What's your go to snack?





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for my nomination! I am very humbled (and so excited) about it. I have will post something soon!
    Preschool Wonders

    ReplyDelete